Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Drywall & Sheetrock & Wallboard, Oh My!

Whatever you call it, they started hanging it up yesterday! I know it's just one of many steps in the whole house-building process, but psychologically it's such a HUGE one. Not to knock the plumbing or the wiring or any of the other things which have been going on, but this is the most exciting thing I've seen since framing. I was so excited I did a little happy dance as soon as I saw it. It's still a long way from finished, but it's so cool I had to take (and post) a bunch of pictures.
The house had a strange feel to it, not just because of the mess of drywall fragements all over the place, but also because many of the windows and doorways haven't been fully cut out yet, so it's strangely dark. This is the doorway into the living room from the front entryway. Looks like a sasquatch just busted through...
Here's the upstairs hallway. To the immediate right is the stairway down. Straight ahead to the right at the end of the hall is the laundry/craft room, to the left is the back bedroom. Between the stairway and the laundry door you can just make out the bathroom doorway.
In the bathroom you can see the "greenboard" which is used in areas that will have moisture or high humidity. It's sure a lot harder to take pictures now that the walls are rocked. I think every previous picture that I've taken of the tub I took from the laundry room, through the wall.
Here's the bedroom with the curved window bump-up. The arch hasn't been sheeted yet but just having the ceiling closed really helps give an idea of how the finished room will feel.
Also, the dormer windows were installed yesterday. They'd been keeping the spaces open because they provided nice easy access to the roof, but with the weather turning rainy and the drywall going in, it didn't make sense to leave them open any longer.

No comments: