Saturday, November 17, 2007

Clawfoot tub, how I love thee

Instant home spa: fill tub with really, really hot water. While the tub is filling, light candles, find a book, make a cup of tea, and inflate the bathtub pillow. Bath salts are optional. Make sure you have some nice clean towels on hand. Then get in the tub, shut the world out and relax...
Ahhhh.

Seriously, I do love this bathtub. It's so wonderfully deep compared to standard modern tubs. I could wish for it to be slightly longer (it's only a 5-footer) but since it was free (a family heirloom) I'm not going to complain. Before this tub I only rarely took baths because in a regular tub its just not worth the time it takes to transform the utilitarian shower area into a comfy soaking environment. I'm actually glad we didn't try to install a shower fixture for the clawfoot, and not just becuase it would have been difficult and expensive - it means that this space is always 100% ready for a relaxing bath. There's really nothing better to restore the spirit on a dark cold night after a long day at work. Having this tub is worth every minute I spent restoring it to good condition.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Ahhh, yes, I have been known to be jealous of your soaking tub. Since I am a bigger girl, it is difficult for me to relax in a regular shower/bath tub not to mention my weirdness about having it sparkling clean before I am willing to get in! I don't like floaties in my bath water!

Addie said...

Your new place has a tub that will put this one to shame though, right? Then the only thing you'll be missing is the inflatable pillow. Maybe santa will bring you one... :)

Bethany said...

This looks amazing! I am about to take on the same project and was nervous that it couldn't be done well at home(not professional) But you guys did a great job! Can you point me to the kit and other materials that you used? I am sure that there are a lot of others that would like to know too