Saturday, November 10, 2007

Catastophic Hard Drive Crash

This week my hard drive died. My IT guy says he's never seen such total destruction - "nuclear winter" is how he described the condition of the drive when I brought it to him. At least it was quick and painless; it didn't suffer - just a sudden and eternal bluescreen of death.

Nothing is recoverable. Which means that this blog now contains 100% of the existing photos of this past year moving into our house. I never thought my semi-obsessive blogging would turn out to be so useful! The wedding pictures are all safe on disc, but I just never got around to backing up anything else. Luckily I have a print-out of the wedding address list, I'd sure hate to have to start from scratch tracking down all those addresses again as I send out the thankyou cards.

The biggest immediate loss is the graphic design work (Ads, Posters, Handbills, and even a Billboard!) I have been doing for
Pacific Arts Holiday Market. Luckily I still have all the raw materials (files) that I need to recreate everything, but it's a major frustration and REALLY bad timing - several of the ads deadline on Monday. Still, as you can see, I am now back up and running. It'll all work out.

The moral of the story is, Back Up Your Computer Today! And also, it's probably not a good idea to set your CPU on the floor if you have radiant heat. :)

2 comments:

Janet said...

Ouch.....I'm backing mine up TONIGHT. I hope other than that, you're doing well.

Addie said...

Good for you! I will be much more careful with my backups in the future. Once burned...

Other than that, everything is going very well. Life is good!