Saturday, August 23, 2008

Beans, Cukes & Zukes

The garden really enjoyed all the rain this past week. The yellow wax bush beans went crazy - I picked two colanders full of them.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them all, maybe some dilly beans?

I also got a ton of cucumbers. I made a batch of bread & butter pickles, which used up most of them, but I've still got several cukes left over. If I pickle the beans I guess I'll do the rest of the cukes as well.

The Zucchini really grew this week, for the first time this year I have 4 big giant zukes to deal with. Up until this week they had been slow enough to mature that I've gotten them all at about 10 inches long, perfect for sautes and grilling. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these giants, but I'll probably start with a batch of zucchini bread. Yum! Of course, I'll still have 3 more zukes to deal with after that... might be time to take some produce to the office to give away. :)

Also, my tomatoes are starting to get ripe! I picked a handful of orange cherry tomatoes yesterday, they are super sweet and juicy. The red pear tomatoes and one of the heirloom slicers that Keeley gave me are starting to turn color as well. Looks like a pretty good crop coming on!

I took out the peas, broccoli, and the white winter kale (which was bolting & had aphids) yesterday, the garden feels like it's starting to make the transition from spring/summer crops to fall. I need to do some more weeding and then I'll start planting some fall crops - more carrots, some beets, new kale, chard and lettuces. I'm toying with the idea of trying another planting of broccoli, as well as some brussel sprouts - I'll have to look and see if I can get starts still.

No comments: