Saturday, June 20, 2009

Chicago & other updates

Whew, it's been quite a week! On Sunday I flew out to Chicago for a conference and learned all about the new canadian national organic standards. (Pretty exciting stuff, really!) It was the first time I'd been away from Conan overnight, he and Papa had two nights and two mornings alone together. They did great, but it was sure hard on me! I missed Conan terribly. And I really can't reccommend a breastpump as a travelling companion, nor airport and airplane restrooms as pumping locations. All in all though, it was a good trip and Chicago had beautiful weather while I was there. The day after I left some big storms came in and they broke the reccord for rainfall - 3 inches in 24 hrs! The highlight of my trip was going up to the 96th floor in the Hancock Tower to look at the night view. It was amazing:

Conan has started eating solid foods, we gave him his first Avocado on Saturday at his "half-birthday" party and he loved it. Since then we have also introduced rice cereal, and yesterday he decided he was ready for watermellon too, so he grabbed a slice off my plate and thoroughly enjoyed sucking the sweet juice out of it. MMM!

He's getting closer to crawling every day. He can scootch along on his tummy pretty well now, and he can get up on his hands and knees and hold it for longer and longer every day. It won't be long before he puts the two together and really takes off.

He's also really good at standing. He can't pull himself up yet, but if he is helped into a standing position next to a chair or something he can hold onto, he can stand there for a long time. He still needs a spotter, though, because sometimes he expiriments with letting go, and then he'll fall.

Speaking of falls, he's had a couple big tumbles and bonked heads already. Poor little guy! I know a lot more of them are in the future, but it still makes me cringe. Learning to walk is scary (for me).

The best new development of all though is that he's sleeping through the night more and more often. We got THREE nights of uninterupted sleep this week - two of them consecutive! I really cannot describe how wonderful that is, but those of you with kids know what I mean. Those of you without kids think you do, but you don't - yet. ;)

No comments: