Tuesday, October 30, 2007

For Ted

I Did, in fact, eat a real Philly Cheesesteak. I had it 'wit' onions, mushrooms, and peppers. I was surprised to find out that the cheese is under the meat, not on top of it. It seems doing it this way helps keep the bread from getting soggy. The sandwich was really tasty and VERY filling. I wasn't offered any hot sauce, so maybe that's not considered an appropriate condiment for a true cheesesteak, but I think a bit of Tapatio would be an excellent addition. (Hopefully I didn't just commit heresy by saying that!)
The place was called Tony Luke's, and I was told it was one of the two original cheesesteak places in the city. They still have the sidewalk stand, but since it was cold and rainy we chose to eat in the nice warm dining room instead of outside under the freeway overpass. :)

No comments: