Saturday, April 07, 2007

Burn Baby Burn

Hurrah! The small pile is burnt, now I just have to do the gigantic one. You can see it in the background of the first two shots, covered with plastic to help dry it out. It's easily 4 times larger than this one I burnt today. It probably requires having some machinery on hand to burn it safely, so I'm hoping Dad will be able to come over sometime and help me with it.

Here's today's pile, after removing the tarp and before lighting it up:
Can you beleive our christmas tree is still green? The needles are all still attached and pliable. Oh well, it'll burn anyway, along with the lower branches I pruned off our cedar trees just today.

Here it goes!

After:
These cedar rootwads have been burnt at least three times now, but they are just such huge lumps that we'd have to burn them for days & days. Cary had a super idea though: instead of trying to burn them yet again, we're going to arrange them into a circle, pile dirt on & in between them, and make a planting area for native red huckleberries. The huckleberries will love it, and I think it will really look nice. I'm not sure where or when we'll do it, but it's a great idea, don't you think?

No comments: