Nobody's back really felt like digging any 3" holes today, so instead of working on the pergola we completed a couple of smaller projects. First, we built our raised-bed/garden box and planted it with the healthy starts that Keeley so kindly gave us. There's a tomato, two peppers, two broccoli, and a cucumber plant from her. We also planted three strawberry plants we've been hauling around in containers for years. They all look really happy in their new home:
To give you a better idea of where the garden box is located, here is a picture of Cary threatening me with the hose while standing in front of it. This should be a good spot for a garden, it gets full sun for nearly the entire day, and it's close to the hose bib so it will be easy to keep watered.
We also worked up and planted a new flower bed in the SW corner of the lawn, where we had planted a few trees and shrubs last week. The flower bed we put in today stretches between and joins the two Sea Buckthorn bushes. Here's Cary doing the initial raking of the site, before we stared adding amendments:
Here's the finished bed. Sprout is sitting in aproximately the same place Cary was standing in the previous picture.
Besides the feeling of accomplishment we get from haveing a finished flower bed, this one had the additional bonus of using up all of the snapdragon and other starts that didn't make it into the flower pots earlier this spring. It sure feels good to have them all in the ground. :) The cats seemed pleased with our work, in general, although they seem to think we should still be out there working. Sanford has the wheelbarrow all ready to go...