BEST DROP BISCUITS (Cooks Illustrated Dec. 2007)
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. cold buttermilk (OR 1 c. other milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice, let rest 10 minutes)
8 tbsp. (1 stick) butter
1. Preheat oven to 475º
2. Melt butter in microwave, then let cool slightly - about 5 minutes.
3. Mix dry ingredients together.
4. Mix cold buttermilk & cooled melted butter together. Stir until it gets super clumpy.
5. Mix liquid into dry ingredients. Stir until batter just comes together, don't overmix.
6. Portion into 12 biscuits on a non-stick baking sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes.
That's it! No cutting butter into flour, no rolling out dough, it's about 10 minutes to mix up the batter & get them into the oven. Very do-able on a weeknight and these always get rave reviews at potlucks. Of course, now that I've let out how easy they are I might have to come up with something else to bring to potlucks so everyone doesn't realize how lazy I am. Oops.
- Substitute 3/4c. masa harina for an equal amount of the white flour to make corn-bread-y biscuits.
- Cook & crumble 6 strips of bacon and mix into flour mixture, along with 1 tsp back pepper.
- Add 1/2c. grated cheddar cheese and 1/4c. green onions or chives to flour mixture.
- Add 3/4c. grated parmesan cheese and 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary to flour mixture.