Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Birthday Thoughts

It's my birthday!  36 years of being me, and it just keeps getting better.  :)

Soon it will be Conan's birthday also, so we are talking a lot about birthdays these days.  This year will be the first birthday party where Conan really "gets" birthdays, so I've been thinking about ways to make it fun. 

Last night I asked Conan what his favorite part of birthday parties was.

Without hesitation, he replied "Eating cake!"
"OK" I said, "but what else do you like?"
"Ice Cream!" he shouted.
"Uh-huh, I know. What else?"
"Pie! And cupcakes!"
"OK" I said again.  "But what do you like to DO at parties?"
"Maybe have cookies?" he replied after a thoughtful pause.
"Right, but what about games?" I said, trying to steer the conversation away from desserts.  "What kind of fun games do you like to play with your friends when you go to parties?"
He thought about that for a little while, and then his face brightened. 
"Trick or Treat!  That's my favorite."
Sigh.
"With real candy, Mama." he added helpfully. "Lots of candy."

No comments: